Click on the Image to Register NOW!
Message from the President: Association of South African Social Work Education Institutions (ASASWEI)
ASASWEI is a not-for-profit association, that serves to maintain and support a community of social work educators who are committed to the continuing development of social work education, training, research and practice in South Africa. The Departments or Schools of social work within the following universities are registered with ASASWEI:
- Mandela University
- North West University (Mafikeng, Potchefstroom and Vaal)
- Stellenbosch University
- University of Cape Town
- University of Fort Hare (East London and Alice)
- University of Free State
- University of Johannesburg
- University of KwaZulu-Natal
- University of Limpopo
- University of Pretoria
- University of South Africa
- University of Venda
- University of Western Cape
- University of Witwatersrand
- University of Zululand
- Walter Sisulu University
South African College of Applied Psychology
We pay tribute to the past Executives of ASASWEI. Some of the past presidents (under ASASWEI and the Joint Universities Board) include:
Adrian Van Breda (UJ-2015-2019); Sello Sithole (UL 2013-2015); Jean Triegaardt (2001-2005); LR Louw (UCT-1987); E. A. K. Hugo (UP-1986); Isak JJ van Rooyen (UP-1984); MC Potgieter (1983); Daan J. Eloff (Potchefstroom University for CHE- 1982); Edward Bateson (1938) (List thanks to John Rautenbach-to be updated)
ASASWEI STRATEGIC VISION:
To be the leading association in the promotion of social work education, training, research and practice in South Africa in collaboration with the international community in pursuit of enhanced psychosocial functioning of individuals, families, groups, and the development of organisations and communities, and of human rights, social justice and equality of all the people of South Africa.
Mission: To maintain and support a community of social work educators who are committed to the continuing development of social work education, training, research and practice in South Africa.
In pursuing its mission and vision the Association aims to:
- Facilitate collaboration and exchange of information on social work education, training, research and practice amongst members with relevant networks (governmental and non-governmental) on national, regional and international levels.
- Develop strategies that enhance the recognition of social work as a profession.
- Promote recognition of the contribution of social work to social and economic development and to the transformation of South African society.
- Support the development of appropriate and locally specific research, theory and practice.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of social welfare and education policies in the South African context.
- Promote and facilitate teaching and learning, quality assurance, curriculum development, research capacity building, and community development in social work.
ASASWEI membership is extended to who are universities accredited to offer social work curriculum in South Africa. We have recently adopted a new membership category, ‘Friend’, to cater for statutory bodies such as the South African Council for Social Service Professions (SACSSP).
ASASWEI is a member of the Association of Schools of Social Work in Africa (AASWA) and the International Association of the Schools of Social Work (IASSW).
Our Executive positions for this period include:
Dr Varoshini Nadesan (UJ) – President (2019-2021)
Prof Allucia Lulu Shokane (UniZulu) – Vice President (2019-2021)
Dr Motlalepule Nathane-Taulela (Wits) – Secretary (2019-2021)
Dr Mbazima Mathebane (UNISA) – Treasurer (2019-2023)
Dr Anneline Keet (MU) – International Representative (2019-2023)
ASASWEI email: [email protected]